National Careers Service Website
Terms and Conditions
“National Careers Service Website” means the National Careers Service Website that we make available to you on the Internet.
"Our Material" means content, data and materials delivered to you as part of the Website, including the website design, text and graphics, and their selection and arrangement, and all software compilations, underlying source code and software.
“Terms and Conditions” means the terms and conditions set out here.
"Third Party Content" means content and material belonging to a third party provider of products and/or services.
"Third Party Website" means the website of a third party which is linked to or from the Website or on frames within the Website.
“Website” means [https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx] and includes all the services offered via the Website e.g. Tools, Lifelong Learning Account Forums, Contact Adviser functionality.
"Your Data" means information and data you have provided to us on or in connection with the Website, which may from time to time include Personal Data as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended).
2.1References to "we", "us" and "our" in these Terms and Conditions are to the Chief Executive of Skills Funding Cheylesmore House, Quinton Road, Coventry, CV1 2WT.
2.2References to "you" or "your" in these Terms and Conditions are to you as a user of the Website.
2.3The Chief Executive of Skills Funding is a statutory post and corporation sole, established by the Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009. The Skills Funding Agency describes the Chief Executive of Skills Funding and his staff and the National Careers Service is part of the Skills Funding Agency.
2.4If you have any queries about National Careers Service, please refer to “Contact-Us” link on the Website.
3.Important information about these Terms and Conditions
4.Please read these terms and conditions of use ("Terms and Conditions") carefully before using the National Careers Service ("Website"). These Terms apply to all users of this Website whether you are just visiting the Website, a registered Lifelong Learning Account User, a Forum User or a user of any additional services.
By using this Website you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. If you do not accept these Terms and Conditions, you must not access the Website
4.1We intend to rely on these Terms and Conditions and it is our intention that you will be legally bound by them when you use the National Careers Service Website. If you do not understand any Terms within, please contact us using the “Contact – Us” link on the website.
4.2We advise you to print these Terms and Conditions and keep a copy for your future reference.
5.The National Careers Service Website
5.1The Website provides information and advice to support individuals in making appropriate decisions on a full range of learning and work opportunities. The Website enables you to:
- Access to information about Learning and Work opportunities.
- Register for a Lifelong Learning Account to access Tools and Services.
- Register to use the Forums.
- Make further enquires about Careers Advice or the Website.
6.Data Protection Act
6.1The Chief Executive of Skills Funding is registered with the Information Commissioner. As Data Controller of the information you provide we are responsible for complying with the Data Protection and Freedom of Information Acts. The notification can be viewed on the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.org.uk .
6.2Personal information from visitors to this Website is only collected if it is volunteered to us. The National Careers Service may collect information from you via the Website, the face to face service or through the telephone service. When you provide us with your personal data through any of the routes described, you consent to the processing of all such personal data as set out in these Terms and Conditions. Please read the Terms and Conditions carefully and revisit this page from time to time to review any changes that we may have made.
6.3This Website is intended for individuals aged 13 years or older. The Website is not intended to attract young people under the age of 13. We do not knowingly solicit personal information from young people under the age of 13 or send them requests for personal information.
7.What Information Do We Collect from you ?
8.The National Careers Service Website can be used without giving us any information. To take advantage of the additional services such as the Lifelong Learning Account, CV Builder or additional support offered by the Website, we will need to collect additional information from you for the purposes of Registration. By Registering for use of the Lifelong Learning Account it will enable you to build a profile that you can develop and re-use. By providing us with information when you require support from us, we can help tailor the support to your needs or use it to provide a better service to you.
9.When Registering for the services offered via the National Careers Service Website we may collect information from you for the following purposes:
- Registration information including your name, telephone number, postal address and e-mail address.
- Information relating to Careers, Skills, Action Plans and Achievement Records collected via the Lifelong Learning Account Tools.
- Correspondence Information you provide when contacting us for support.
- Information regarding your contact preferences in order to provide you with further correspondence about our products and services.
10.The primary use of the information that you provide to us is to enable us to provide you with an effective service as part of the overall National Careers Service.
11.The information we collect from you during Registration and continued use of the Service may be used for:
- for internal record keeping
- to provide a service to you
- to improve and tell you about our services
- to tell you about improvements to our service
- to contact you by email, telephone or SMS according to your preferences for the purposes of informing you about service usage, customer satisfaction surveys, Research and Marketing(You can change these contact preferences either by logging into your account or by contacting the National Careers Service helpdesk).
11.1The data you provide to us will not be disclosed to Third Parties other than to:
- enable us to contact you by means such as SMS, E-Mail etc.
- enable us to carry out Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- help us record calls for statistical purposes
- allow an Adviser to contact you when requested
- help us respond to you where you have a Technical query
11.2In addition to the above, we reserve the right to pass on to third parties personal information relating to users of this Website, teachers and/or parents; or personal information obtained from this Website for the purpose of investigating any illegal or improper use or behaviour within this Website. We will also disclose your personal information if required to do so by law in urgent circumstances, to protect personal safety, the public or our Website.
11.3Where the we need to send the information to third parties for the purpose of providing a service to you, we will provide those third parties only with the information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
11.4Personal Information is kept for reference only for as long as necessary so that if you need to use our services again we can provide you with the most appropriate advice and guidance. (We may need to share your information with our service providers and agents for these purposes). Please let us know if you do not wish us to keep the details of your enquiry. Your details will remain confidential at all times
11.5To log-in to your account once it is created you will need to use your unique log-in details. You are responsible for keeping your log-in details confidential and they must not be shared.
11.6You should contact us as soon as possible if you believe that anyone has obtained your log-in details without your permission or if you become aware of any other breach of security on the Website. We will not be responsible to you if there is unauthorised access to your log-in details or unauthorised activity on the Website as a result of your log-in details being used by someone else, unless this is due to our negligence.
12If you register for a Lifelong Learning Account or to use the Forums, you undertake that all of the information you provide when you register is complete and accurate, including your name, contact details and email address. You must keep this information up to date at all times.
12.1The Website provides you with the ability to delete your Lifelong Learning Account. By deleting your Lifelong Learning Account, you will be removing the information you have provided and will not be able to access this information again.
13.Privacy of Your Data
13.3For access to your Personal Learning Record or Learner Statement, we will need to verify your identity for security purposes. You will be redirected to the ID Assurance Service (provided by Experian IDSafe) to create a reusable identity which can be used to access resources from the website and potentially other services which require a higher level of identity verification.
13.4As part of the ID Assurance Service we will be required to either obtain or create a Unique Learning Number (ULN) from the Learning Records Service for you.
13.5The information you supply to ID Assurance Service will be used by the Learning Records Service to fulfil its statutory functions, issue or verify your Unique Learner Number (ULN) and update or check your Personal Learning Record. Further details of how your information is processed and shared can be found at http://www.learningrecordsservice.org.uk/privacy-copyright.htm
14.Use of the Websites and Our Material
14.1Any use of Our Material not expressly permitted in these Terms is strictly prohibited and will constitute an infringement of the copyright and other intellectual property rights of the Chief Executive of Skills Funding, or in the case of material licensed to the Chief Executive of Skills Funding, the owner of such materials.
14.2The Chief Executive of Skills Funding owns all the rights to the Website, Our Material, any Third Party Content contained in the Website, and the information the Website collects except where indicated otherwise. This includes patents, copyright, database rights and trademarks. You can:
- view and display the content of the Website on a computer screen;
- print individual pages on paper or make a reasonable number of photocopies (or both); and
- store the content of the Website in electronic form on your computer's hard drive for your personal, non-commercial use only.
14.3You must not copy, pass on, sell, publish or make profit from any of the content of the Website without first getting our written permission.
14.4You must take care not to do anything that could harm the Website or the computer systems which host the Website. You must not do anything that restricts or inhibits the use and enjoyment of the Website by other users.
14.5We do not guarantee that the Website will be compatible with all or any hardware and software which you may use. For example, the Website may not display or operate correctly if you access it using a mobile phone or similar device.
14.6We recommend you always use the current version of browsers to make sure our web pages display quickly, and that you have the latest security updates to help protect your use of the Website.
14.7We take steps to ensure that the Website and Our Material are free from computer viruses and other harmful computer programs. However, we cannot guarantee this due to the nature of the Internet. You are advised to use appropriate firewall and anti-virus software to protect your computer and data.
14.8Although we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information on the Website is as full and accurate as possible; we do not provide any guarantee that the data is fully comprehensive or accurate.
15.Forums and Webchat
15.1The Website offers you the opportunity to register to participate free of charge in the use of the Forums and Webchat Services.
15.2To participate fully in the use the Forums you must accept these Terms and Conditions. Individuals can access and read the Forums without Registering.
15.3The Webchat service is offered to you via the Website under these Terms and Conditions.
15.4We reserve the right to monitor Forum content submitted by you and posts may be removed or edited at our discretion.
15.5We are not responsible for the content of Forums in any way whatsoever. In particular, we do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such user submitted content. You agree that the Chief Executive of Skills Funding has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any messages that you post on any of our forums.
15.6We do not generally monitor the Forums however if you consider anything on the Forums to be in breach of these Terms and Conditions you are requested to alert the moderation team using the 'Report abuse' facility.
15.7When you register for forum membership you additionally agree to use the Forums in accordance with our forum rules that outline appropriate levels of behaviour when posting messages and the subject areas that may be discussed on the Forums.
15.8If you continue to break the forum rules; we may, at our sole discretion, take action against your account or accounts, including, but not limited to suspension of your account or accounts for a pre-determined period of time or permanent suspension of your access to the Forums. If your access has been suspended temporarily or permanently you must not re-register or otherwise attempt to re-access the Forums without our prior consent.
15.9You agree not to use the Forums for any unlawful purposes to:
- transmit or communicate any material which is obscene, offensive, blasphemous, pornographic, unlawful, threatening, menacing, abusive, harmful (particularly to minors), an invasion of privacy, defamatory, libellous, vulgar or otherwise objectionable;
- transmit or communicate any material which infringes our or any other person's copyrights, trade marks, patents, moral rights or other intellectual property rights of any nature;
- transmit or communicate any material that contains images, audio or video recordings, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by the rights of confidentiality or privacy, where applicable) unless you own or control the rights thereto and have received all necessary consents and agreement in relation to any third parties' interest in the material;
- use the Forum for commercial purposes including without limitation the publishing or circulation of any promotion, or advertisement, or the solicitation of funds or the sale or supply of goods or services except when in response to an enquiry by another forum user or expressly permitted by us;
- to transmit or communicate any material which is likely to have a detrimental effect on our or any other person's reputation;
- to harvest content or IP addresses or transmit or communicate any material which contains software viruses or any other files or programs that may interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of this Website or server or any other computer or that contains any unsolicited or unauthorised materials, chain letters, junk mail, spam or similar;
- to transmit any material which is likely to cause harm to our or anyone else's computer systems, including but not limited to any virus, code, worm, data or other routine purposely designed to damage or cause any defect, error, malfunction or corruption to any computer system;
- to restrict or in any way inhibit any person from using this Website;
- to transmit or communicate any material which is irrelevant to the subject matter;
- to transmit or communicate any material in breach of the Computer Misuse Act 1990;
- to impersonate or falsely state or misrepresent your association with any entity or person including without limitation the Chief Executive of Skills Funding, the Skills Funding Agency, National Careers Service careers advisers or other members;
- to delete any author contributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file which is uploaded or falsify the origin or source of the material which is transmitted or communicated;
- to obtain, collect or store any personal data about any visitors or members of the forums;
- to transmit applications which make excessive demands on bandwidth;
- to register yourself as a member of this Forum, under more than one user name and/or user account number without the consent of the Website editor or the forum moderator.
15.10We shall have the right without notice to record the IP address from which any user submitted content is transmitted or communicated through this Website.
15.11We may also preserve any content that you send or receive if required to do so by law or if reasonably required to ensure compliance with the Terms or to respond to third party complaints about such content.
15.12We reserve the right to close Forum Accounts that are inactive for a period of 12 months. You will need to create a new account to Access the Forums if your account has been closed due to inactivity.
15.13If you post any comments or content on the Forums you grant the Chief Executive of Skills Funding a non-exclusive royalty free perpetual irrevocable right and licence to reproduce, modify, edit, adapt, publish, translate, distribute and display such materials in any and all media now known or in future created throughout the world and authorise others to do so.
16.Warranties and Disclaimers
16.1We use reasonable skill and care in the sourcing and supply of the information which is made available to you on or in connection with the Website or the ID Service. However, in the case of information we obtain from third party sources (including the details supplied by you), we cannot guarantee that any of that information is correct, accurate, complete, error free or up-to-date.
16.2Nothing provided by us on or in connection with the Website is, or shall be deemed to constitute financial, legal or other advice. The information we provide is not intended to be relied on by you in making (or refraining from making) any specific decision or to replace independent professional advice. Any and all information provided by us on or in connection the Website is for general information purposes only.
16.3You further agree to irrevocably and unconditionally waive all moral rights which you may have in respect of any material posted by you on the Website
17.Our liability to you
17.1The Chief Executive of Skills Funding accepts no liability in contract, or for negligence or otherwise for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage suffered by you as a result of :
- loss of access to the Website due to routine or emergency maintenance on the system, or due to excessive demand for the service
- loss of data including both data sent and other data held by or on behalf of You
- delay or failure in receipt of data provided by You
- the use of this Website.
17.1Nothing in these Terms and Conditions excludes or limits our liability in respect of (a) death or personal injury caused by our negligence, (b) our fraud, (c) any other matter which it would be illegal for us to exclude or limit or to attempt to exclude or limit our liability.
18.Ending the your use of the National Careers Service Website
18.1You are free to stop using the National Careers Service Website at any time.
18.2You may close your user account at any time by using the account management section of the Website or by contacting the National Careers Service. Your account will be closed and if you wish to be registered to use the National Careers Service Website again in the future you will need to create a new account by re-entering Your Data.
19.Third Party Websites and Content
19.1The Website may contain links to other websites and Third Party Content in respect of products and services, either directly or indirectly through frames. Where possible, we will make it clear where such links are being made. We are not responsible for Third Party Content or the availability of Third Party Websites.
19.2We do not endorse or take responsibility for any Third Party Content or any offers, arranging or advice (including but not limited to the comment, opinions, or recommendations) provided by third parties. You will need to validate the information and check the details of what is being offered by such third parties for yourself.
19.3Third Party Content and third party products and services available on the Website or linked to from the Website (including any services provided by the Post Office) are subject to the separate terms and conditions and privacy policies of the relevant third party (in the case of privacy policies where the third party is collecting information from you, otherwise, where we collect information from you then our relevant privacy policies will apply).
20.1In the unlikely event that you have cause to complain about the National Careers Service Website, please contact us using the “Contact – Us” link on the website.
21.Changes to these Terms and Conditions
21.1Sometimes, because of changes to the National Careers Service Website and Service, changes in the law or our arrangements with third parties, we may have to make changes to these Terms and Conditions. You can tell when changes have been made by checking the version and date on which they were last modified indicated at the start of these Terms and Conditions.
21.2We will notify you individually of any changes in these Terms and Conditions when you log onto your Lifelong Learning Account. However, for general Website usage, It is recommended that you check these Terms and Conditions regularly and in particular on each occasion when you use the Website.
22.Other important information
22.1These Terms and Conditions are a contract between you and us and form the entire agreement between us. No-one except us and you has any right to enforce these Terms and Conditions by virtue of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
22.2You may not transfer any or all of the rights granted to you under these Terms and Conditions to any other person.
22.3We may in our discretion discontinue or modify the Website or the ID Service at any time. We will try to ensure that any modification does not materially adversely affect the nature of the ID Service provided to you.
22.4Any notices we send to you will be sent to the most recent e-mail address or postal address provided to us by you.