Privacy and cookies
How we use your personal information
The National Careers Service is part of the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education (DfE). This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information. For the purposes of relevant data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller for personal information processed. For more detailed information on how we handle your personal information see the ESFA: privacy notice.
We collect your personal information so the DfE can carry out its functions. This includes the National Careers Service website and any services delivered from the website, our telephone service and local area careers advisory services delivered as part of the National Careers Service.
When you use the National Careers Service, we collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable delivery of the services requested
- to provide statistical information to partner organisations
- to evidence and support payments to organisations delivering careers advice on our behalf
In addition, if you give your consent we will collect your personal information for:
- customer satisfaction surveys; and or;
- to enable us to monitor our performance against our equality and diversity objectives, and or;
- to ensure we are targeting our service to meet priority groups
If you choose not to allow us to collect this additional information, you will still receive the same level of service.
If you do provide this additional information, you can choose later to withdraw your consent by contacting the National Careers Service at any time if you have:
- created an online account you can log in and un-tick the relevant boxes in your account details
- spoken to an adviser on 0800 100 900, you can ring them and tell them you wish to withdraw your consent for customer satisfaction surveys, and your ethnicity and disability information as appropriate
- spoken with a local adviser on the phone or face to face, you can contact your adviser using their details, or in person, and tell them you wish to withdraw your consent for customer satisfaction surveys, and your ethnicity and disability information as appropriate
Where we collect personal information from
Personal information is provided directly by you to the National Careers Service when:
- you talk to us on the phone or face to face
- you use our website or webchat
- you send us emails or text messages
We may collect personal information about you from other systems or organisations funded by the ESFA and from these sources:
- Find an Apprenticeship
- the Department for Work and Pensions for customers referred from Jobcentre Plus
- organisations that introduce you to us; so that we can make contact with you
Who we share your personal information with
We may share your personal information with other services run by the ESFA and partner organisations, where the law allows it or we have a legal obligation to do so.
To enable the delivery of Careers Advice services to you, we may share information with the following organisations:
- organisations working on behalf of local careers advisory services
- organisations that introduce you to us; so we can let them know how you are getting on
- organisations that we introduce you to; if there is an specialist organisation that we believe may be able to assist you, we may pass basic details to them to allow them to deliver their services to you. This includes local authorities and training or learning providers.
- Ofsted - examples of advice given to customers may be shared securely with Ofsted so the quality of the National Careers Service can be checked
- market research organisations - to check on your satisfaction with the service received and to see if you have made any progress in learning or work as a result; and only if you have agreed to this.
Your Individual Rights
The law gives you certain rights with regards to your data.
How to get a copy of your personal information
You can request a copy of any personal information that the National Careers Service holds on you by the following method:
By using the form available at: https://www.education.gov.uk/contactus/efa or by writing to:
Ministerial and Public Communications Division
Department for Education
Letting us know if your personal information is incorrect
You have the right to question any information we have about you that you think is wrong or incomplete. Please contact us if you want to do this by:
- using the telephone service on 0800 100 900
- speaking to your local careers adviser using the details they have provided you with
If you do, we will take reasonable steps to check its accuracy and correct it, this includes with any organisations we may have shared it with.
How to withdraw from the National Careers Service
You can end your use of the National Careers Service at any time depending on how the service has helped you. If you have:
- created an online account you can end your use of the service by signing into your account and clicking on the 'Close your account' link
- only used the telephone service by calling 0800 100 900 you can ring them and tell them you wish to stop using the National Careers Service
- spoken with a local adviser on the phone or face to face, you can contact your adviser using their details and tell them you wish to stop using the National Careers Service
How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for as long as is necessary.
If you have spoken to a local careers adviser face to face or on the phone, or contacted the National Careers Service by telephone, webchat or email; after you stop being a customer, we may need to keep some of your personal information for up to six years to satisfy contractual audit requirements.
Personal Information kept for this reason will be restricted to a minimum and is to provide confirmation of payments to an organisation delivering Careers Advisory services on our behalf. Your information will be held securely and destroyed when it is no longer required.
How to complain
Please let us know if you are unhappy with how we have used your personal information. You can contact us using our secure online contact form.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Find out on their website how to report a concern.
This service puts small files (known as 'cookies') on to your computer. Most websites do this.
These cookies are used to:
- help us understand how you use the service, so we can improve it
- remember what notifications you've seen so you're not shown them again
- temporarily store the information you enter, such as your postcode
The cookies aren't used to identify you personally. They're put on to your computer to make the service work better for you. You can edit or delete the cookies.
Find out how to edit and delete cookies.
Our introductory cookie message
You may see a pop-up welcome message when you first visit this website. We'll store a cookie so that your computer knows you've seen it and knows not to show it again.
|seen_cookie_message||Saves a message to let us know that you've seen our cookie message||1 month|
Our Ipsos MORI poll message
You may see a pop-up message inviting you to tell us what you think of the National Careers Service website. We'll store a cookie so that yourcomputer knows you've seen it.
|ipsos-overlay||Saves a message to let us know that you've been invited to participate in our Ipsos MORI poll||31 days|
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use this website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
We don't allow Google to use or share our analytics data.
Google Analytics sets the following cookies:
|_ga||This helps us count how many people visit this website by tracking if you've visited before||2 years|
|_gat||Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made||10 minutes|
|_utma||Like _ga, this lets us know if you've visited before, so we can count how many of our visitors are new to this website or to a certain page||2 years|
|_utmb||This works with _utmc to calculate the average length of time you spend on this website||30 minutes|
|_utmc||This works with _utmb to calculate when you close your browser||when you close your browser|
|_utmz||This tells us how you reached this website (for example from another website or a search engine)||6 months|
|FedAuth||Remembers your information when you’re signed in||when you close your browser|
|sf-trckngckie||Remembers information about the pages you've visited||180 days|
|SF-TokenId||Used when you need to recover your account details||118 minutes|
|JSESSIONID||Remembers the information you enter when you're doing a Skills Health Check||when you close your browser|
|A1LOCALE||Remembers language information||when you close your browser|