Butler Household manager
BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Butlers carry out a range of personal and household tasks for their employers.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements but a qualification or relevant experience in butler skills may improve your employment chances.
Being able to speak a second language may also be helpful.
You'll usually need a full driving licence.
2. Skills required
- excellent communication skills
- organisational skills
- the ability to anticipate other people's needs
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- personal assistant duties such as diary management and booking restaurants and travel
- representing your client at meetings
- managing the household and staff
- table setting and serving food and drinks
- chauffeur duties
- looking after guests
- wine cellar management
- cooking and meal preparation
- flower presentation and design
- valeting such as clothing and shoe care
- taking care of pets
- organising shoots on country estates
Understanding social etiquette and cultural protocol is an important part of the role. Some clients may expect a very formal working environment.
Starter: £15,000 to £20,000
Experienced: £20,000 to £35,000
Highly Experienced: £35,000 to £50,000
Butlers in private households usually earn more, and may be provided with accommodation.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
You may work in a luxury hotel, on a cruise ship or in an overseas embassy. A lot of butlers are also employed in private households and on country estates.
Your working hours will depend on your employer and may be long, including evenings and weekends.
You may work alone for long periods of time.
6. Career path and progression
Once you have a wide range of experience and contacts in the industry, you could look at setting up your own business, like a butler training school or a butler recruitment agency.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 September 2018