BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Colon hydrotherapists use water to cleanse the colon of waste products and toxins.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements.
The Register of Integrative Colon Therapists and Trainers (RICTAT) and the Association of Registered Colon Hydrotherapists (ARCH) set and monitor training standards.
To register with either organisation you’ll need to complete a recognised training course.
To get onto a course, you’ll need 2-years' experience and a relevant qualification in nursing, medicine, or a body-based therapy, like acupuncture, chiropractic, osteopathy or herbalism.
2. Skills required
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to build trust and rapport with patients
- business skills, if running your own practice
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- inserting a tube filled with filtered water (warmed to body temperature) into the client's body
- repeatedly flushing the tube with water to cleanse the colon and rid the body of any waste products
- massaging the client's abdomen and other pressure points
- disposing of any fluids
- preparing the room and sterilising equipment
- advising clients about ways to improve their health, diet and lifestyle
- referring clients onto doctors or other health professionals if needed
If you’re self-employed, your income will depend on the hours you work, the number of clients you see and how much you can charge. You’ll usually charge an hourly rate of £40 to £75.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually be self-employed. You may provide evening and weekend appointments to meet the needs of your patients. Sessions take around 90 minutes.
You’ll usually work in private consulting rooms.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience you could run your own practice or work in a variety of settings like health and spa resorts, gyms, salons, and natural health centres.
You could also train in other therapies like aromatherapy and massage.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 September 2018