Community transport driver
Community transport drivers provide a door-to-door service for people who can’t easily use public transport.
1. Entry requirements
You’ll need to be:
- at least 17 to drive smaller minibuses and cars
- at least 21 and have a category D licence to drive larger passenger carrying vehicles (PCVs) with more than 9 seats
You’ll also need:
- a full driving licence with no penalty points (‘clean’)
- a reasonable level of fitness
- clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
Experience in customer care, healthcare or social work could be useful.
Some employers may ask for GCSEs, or equivalent, in maths and English.
It will help if you have an understanding of disability needs as many of your passengers will be disabled.
2. Skills required
- excellent driving skills
- organisational skills
- map reading and route planning skills
- patience and empathy
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- planning the best route
- lifting and helping passengers on and off
- performing basic vehicle checks
- keeping the vehicle tidy between journeys
You’ll usually work with passenger assistants, under the supervision of a co-ordinator or manager.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work around 40 hours a week, if full-time.
You’ll need to be flexible as passengers may need transport from early in the morning to late in the evening.
Most of your time will be spent in the vehicle.
You’ll usually be provided with a uniform.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could progress to operations or service manager.
With the right licence, you could also move into other areas of driving, or, with further training, into vehicle maintenance and repair.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 14 September 2017
Exam results helpline from 16 to 31 August
Once you've got your exam results, get help from a careers adviser on your options, and what to do next.
Call 0800 100 900
8am to 10pm, 7 days a week
Calls are free from landlines and most mobile numbers.