Data entry clerk Typist, audio typist, copy typist
Data entry clerks type information into databases and systems and create letters, reports and other documents.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements, but GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in English and maths will help.
Office experience could also help you get a job.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
2. Skills required
- IT skills
- typing accuracy and speed
- efficient time management skills
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- entering personal details of customers into a database
- entering information for classified adverts in a newspaper
- transferring paper-based market research results
- updating patients' medical records
- processing invoices
Starter: £12,000 to £15,000
Experienced: £16,000 to £20,000
Highly Experienced: £21,000 to £25,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
You'll usually work 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
You'll spend most of your time at a computer in an office.
6. Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a supervisor or team leader. You could also train and mentor new employees.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 01 June 2018
Exam results helpline from 16 to 31 August
Once you've got your exam results, get help from a careers adviser on your options, and what to do next.
Call 0800 100 900
8am to 10pm, 7 days a week
Calls are free from landlines and most mobile numbers.