We're building a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Domestic energy assessor

BETATry an improved version of this page

  1. More about how to get into this career
  2. We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Try it out

Domestic energy assessors (DEAs) work out the energy efficiency of domestic buildings like houses and flats.

Salary, a pound sign Salary: £18,000 to £35,000 average per year
Hours, a clock face Hours: Variable per week

1. Entry requirements

You’ll need the level 3 certificate in domestic energy assessment and become a member of a Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) accreditation scheme.
There are no specific entry requirements for the certificate. The amount of training you’ll need to do will depend on the skills you already have.

You must have a driving licence.

2. Skills required

You’ll need:

  • IT skills
  • observational skills
  • the ability to take accurate measurements
  • time-management skills
  • the ability to keep clear, complete and accurate records
  • a willingness to work flexibly

3. What you'll do

Your day-to-day duties might include:

  • inspecting properties to collect information on their age, number of floors, building type, and heating and hot water systems
  • noting the number and sizes of rooms, corridors, windows and fireplaces
  • entering the information into a computer software programme, which will produce an energy efficiency rating and an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • explaining efficiency ratings to homeowners
  • giving practical advice to owners on how to improve energy efficiency 

You could be self-employed or work for companies like estate agents, EPC providers or energy retailers.

4. Salary

Starter: £18,000

Experienced: £25,000

Highly Experienced: £35,000

Earnings will vary and depend on the demand in your area, and the type, size and complexity of the property.
These figures are a guide.

5. Working hours, patterns and environment

You could work full-time or part-time, but may need to carry out inspections in the evenings or at weekends to suit your clients.
As a self-employed DEA, you’ll arrange your working hours around the amount of visits or jobs you have.

You may work alone and need to travel to complete assessments or find customers.

6. Career path and progression

With further training, you could carry out assessments on non-domestic (commercial) buildings, or move into assessor training.

Related careers

You may be interested in:

Last updated: 13 September 2018