Handypersons carry out minor repairs and small jobs in people's homes and businesses.
1. Entry requirementsThere are no set entry requirements
Experience and qualifications in joinery, plumbing or electrics would be helpful.
You could take a college course to learn DIY skills or gain experience through voluntary work. Do-it has details of voluntary opportunities in your area.
You’ll need clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) if you’re going to be working with vulnerable groups, like the elderly or people with disabilities.
2. Skills required
- excellent practical skills in basic carpentry, plumbing and electrics
- the ability to work on your own initiative
- the ability to accurately record details of work carried out and time taken
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- putting up curtain rails, shelves and picture frames
- fitting smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and grab rails
- replacing fuses, plugs and light bulbs
- fitting door and window locks, and alarms
- unblocking sinks, and fixing leaking taps and overflow problems
- adjusting or re-hanging doors
- moving or assembling items of furniture
- painting and decorating
- basic gardening services, clearing out guttering or minor building repairs
If you’re self-employed, you’ll set your own rates, usually £7 to £10 an hour, depending on the contract.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work 37 to 40 hours a week. Part-time work is often available and you may be on-call during evenings and weekends.
This work can be physically demanding.
You’ll need a driving licence and access to a vehicle, and you’ll normally need your own tools.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could become a team leader or jobs coordinator with a service and repair company. You could also move into related areas of work like caretaking.
With formal qualifications you could become a qualified tradesperson, like a carpenter or plumber.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 13 September 2017