Hotel manager Guest house manager, hotel general manager
BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Hotel managers are in charge of the day-to-day running of a hotel.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements. You can get into this career by applying for a place on a management trainee scheme with a hotel company. You'll normally need an HND or degree in a subject like hotel or hospitality management, though other subjects may be accepted.
Another route is to start out in a more junior position, like front of house manager or kitchen supervisor, and work your way up.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
2. Skills required
- business, marketing and communication skills
- excellent customer service skills
- budgeting skills
3. What you'll do
You'll deal with everything from budgeting and marketing to staff recruitment and building maintenance.
You'll be responsible for:
- setting budgets and forecasting income
- deciding business targets and marketing
- fire safety and building security
- licensing regulations as they relate to the hotel
- overseeing larger corporate bookings and events
- managing staffing and resources
- organising building maintenance
- dealing with customer complaints and comments
- in charge of health and safety, including environmental health
Starter: £20,000 to £35,000
Experienced: £40,000 to £50,000
Highly Experienced: £60,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
Your working day will usually be office hours, 9am to 5pm, but early starts, evenings and weekends are possible. You may have to travel to meet suppliers, contractors or corporate clients.
6. Career path and progression
Your career prospects will depend on the size of the business, your experience and whether you are willing to relocate.
In larger hotel chains, you could move into regional management or specialise in areas like corporate finance or training. You may also have the chance to work overseas with an international hotel group.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 13 September 2018