Iron and steel mill supervisor Steel production foreperson, foundry foreperson
Iron and steel mill supervisors manage day-to-day operations in a foundry or steel production plant.
1. Entry requirementsYou’ll usually need experience and qualifications in iron and steel making or heavy engineering.
2. Skills required
- leadership skills
- teamworking skills
- IT skills
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- organising shift rotas
- planning work and setting production targets
- supervising staff
- checking quality
- dealing with health and safety issues
- troubleshooting production problems with maintenance technicians
- working out improvements to the production process
- attending management meetings
Starter: £20,000 to £25,000
Experienced: £25,000 to £30,000
Highly Experienced: £30,000 or more
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll work up to 40 hours a week on a shift rota.
You’ll be based in a metals production plant or foundry mill.
The workplace can be hot, dusty and noisy.
You'll wear protective clothing.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could become a shift production manager.
You could also move into quality control or health and safety.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 14 December 2016