Kitchen porter Kitchen hand
Kitchen porters clean, wash up and prepare food to keep hotel, restaurant and hospital kitchens running smoothly.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements, but it might help if you have:
- GCSEs at grades 9 to 2 (A* to E) in English and maths
- paid or unpaid experience of working in a kitchen
- an interest in food
- a good level of physical fitness, as you could be on your feet all day
You could also:
- do a college course in cookery or hospitality
- get into general catering through a hospitality apprenticeship
2. Skills required
- the ability to carry out tasks quickly
- the ability to work on your own and use your initiative
- the ability to remain calm under pressure
- the ability to follow instructions
3. What you'll do
You’ll help to keep a kitchen running smoothly by making sure everything is clean, tidy, safe and hygienic.
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- unloading deliveries
- organising the storeroom
- collecting and washing pots, pans, plates and cutlery
- getting pots, pans plates and cutlery back into use quickly
- washing and disinfecting kitchen appliances, work surfaces, floors and walls
- making sure kitchen equipment is properly stored
- removing and recycling waste from the kitchen
You might be paid by the hour.
A lot of restaurants share tips with the kitchen staff, so you may get a small bonus at the end of the week.
Your salary will depend on the type of restaurant you work for, and where it is.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work 37 to 40 hours a week including shifts, weekends and public holidays. Part-time, temporary and seasonal opportunities are often available.
Working conditions are usually hot and humid, and you could be working over a sink full of hot water for long periods of time.
Your employer will often provide you with a uniform.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience and training you could progress to kitchen assistant or chef.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 01 June 2018