Market research data analyst Data analyst, research analyst, market intelligence analyst, statistician, data insight professional
Market research data analysts study statistics and information collected through surveys.
1. Entry requirements
You’ll usually need a degree level qualification. Relevant degrees include:
- business studies
As a graduate, you could start as a junior statistician or analyst. You could also join a structured graduate training scheme offered by some of the larger companies.
You could start as a research assistant, and move into statistical work after gaining more experience. Knowledge of social media analytics could be useful in some roles.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
The Market Research Society (MRS) has details about careers in market research.
2. Skills required
- excellent maths and IT skills
- creative ability, to make data interesting for people who aren’t experts
- problem-solving skills
- accuracy and attention to detail
- the strength to work well under pressure
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- speaking to clients to understand their needs
- writing proposals, describing how research will be carried out
- managing relationships with clients
- advising researchers about survey methods and design
- project-managing teams
- checking the quality of the data collected
- analysing the data using statistical software programs and techniques, spreadsheets and computer models
- presenting results in a useful way, through talks, written reports, graphs and tables
- explaining findings to market research executives
Experienced: £26,000 and £35,000
Highly Experienced: £40,000 to £60,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work standard office hours, Monday to Friday, with occasional overtime to meet project deadlines.
The work is mainly office-based, but you may sometimes travel to visit clients.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could progress into management, or become a self-employed market research consultant.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 14 December 2016