Restaurant manager Catering manager, fast food restaurant manager, cafe manager
BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Restaurant managers oversee their venues and make sure customers are satisfied with the food and service.
1. Entry requirements
GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in English and maths, and a qualification in hospitality, could be helpful.
Large restaurants and fast food chains have management trainee schemes. For these, you'll usually need a foundation degree or degree and relevant experience.
You could start as a trainee manager and work your way up.
You could also get into this job through an apprenticeship.
2. Skills required
- excellent communication skills
- strong customer service skills
- the ability to motivate and manage staff
- numeracy skills
3. What you'll do
You'll work in an independent restaurant or restaurants that are part of a chain, hotel or fast food outlet.
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- planning menus
- organising shifts and rotas
- managing stock control and budgets
- working with food and drink suppliers
- running the business in line with licensing, food hygiene, and health and safety rules
- recruiting staff and organising training
Starter: £18,000 to £25,000
Experienced: £28,000 to £40,000
Highly Experienced: £45,000 or more (regional managers)
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
Your working hours could include evenings, weekends and public holidays. You may work shifts and split shifts (working mornings and evenings, with time off in the afternoon).
You may work overtime at certain times of the year, like Christmas or Easter.
You'll usually work indoors, splitting your time between the front of the restaurant and the kitchen. You may travel to meetings or to provide cover for other restaurants in the same company.
6. Career path and progression
With experience, you could become a regional manager or hotel manager.
You could also set up your own restaurant.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 02 April 2018