We're building a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

School crossing patrol Lollipop person

BETATry an improved version of this page

  1. More about how to get into this career
  2. We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Try it out

School crossing patrols help children and adults cross the road safely on their way to and from school.

Salary, a pound sign Salary: Variable average per year
Hours, a clock face Hours: 5 to 10 per week

1. Entry requirements

Employers don't usually ask for qualifications.

If you've got experience of working with children and adults, this could help you to find work.

You may have to complete a medical questionnaire and pass hearing and eyesight tests.

You'll need enhanced background checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

2. Skills required

You'll need:

  • excellent communication skills
  • observation and awareness skills
  • the ability to remain calm and assertive
  • time keeping skills

3. What you'll do

You'll work for a local authority or an employment agency.

Your day-to-day tasks may include:

  • deciding when it's safe to stop traffic
  • using a school crossing patrol sign (lollipop) to give clear signals to drivers and pedestrians
  • helping children and adults to cross the road safely
  • controlling children who are waiting to cross the road
  • operating the hazard lights at or near crossings and reporting any faults
  • reporting to your supervisor or the police when vehicles disobey the patrol
  • completing paperwork on accidents or incidents that happen on duty
  • attending court as a witness to incidents

You may also be asked to visit schools to promote road safety and give educational talks to children. This would usually be on a volunteer basis.

4. Salary

You'll usually be paid by the hour, between £7.50 and £12.25, term-time only.

Some employers may spread your salary over the year and offer you half-pay during the school holidays.

These figures are a guide.

5. Working hours, patterns and environment

You'll usually work for around 1 to 2 hours a day, Monday to Friday. Your actual hours will depend on the opening and closing times of the schools near your crossing.

You'll spend most of your time on your feet and be out in all weathers. You’ll wear a uniform and waterproof clothing.

You may be required to travel to different crossings to provide emergency cover. For this you’ll usually need your own transport and a driving licence.

6. Career path and progression

With experience, you could teach and train children and new crossing patrols.

Related careers

You may be interested in:

Last updated: 13 September 2018