BETATry an improved version of this page
- More about how to get into this career
- We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
School matrons look after the health and wellbeing of pupils in boarding schools.
1. Entry requirements
You may find it useful to have GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in subjects like English and maths.
Experience working with children and qualifications in childcare and first aid could also be useful.
You'll need clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
You'll need a driving licence and possibly a minibus licence.
2. Skills required
- excellent communication and listening skills
- the ability to deal with emergencies calmly
- organisational skills
- IT skills for record keeping and report writing
- practical skills
3. What you'll do
You could work in the UK or abroad.
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- helping pupils from all countries and cultures settle into school life
- keeping pupils healthy and safe
- helping supervise at meal times and bedtimes
- communicating with parents about their children
- taking pupils to medical and dental appointments
- organising and attending social activities for pupils
- keeping records and writing reports
- attending staff meetings
- sorting laundry and repairs
- monitoring cleaning staff
- driving a minibus
Starter: £14,000 (assistant matron)
Experienced: £17,000 to £20,000 (matron)
You'll usually get meals and accommodation. Some jobs are term-time only.
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
You’ll usually work long hours, including evenings and weekends. You'll be on call for emergencies.
You may only work during term-time, or you could look after pupils at activities during the school holidays.
You’ll usually live at the school.
6. Career path and progression
You could start as a house parent or assistant matron, then move to matron and senior matron.
You could also become a housemaster or mistress or head of boarding.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 September 2018