Swimming pool technician Swimming pool engineer
Swimming pool technicians service and maintain swimming pools, spas and hot tubs.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set entry requirements but it may be helpful if you have experience or a qualification in:
- heating, ventilation or air conditioning (HVAC)
- electrical or mechanical maintenance
- water treatment
You could start work with a pool installation company as a general labourer or plant operator, then move into the technical side after training.
To work on gas powered pool heating systems, you’ll need to be a member of the Gas Safe Register.
For jobs in the public sector, like at a leisure centre or university, you’ll usually need qualifications from an awarding body, like:
2. Skills required
- practical skills
- organisational skills
- report writing skills
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- carrying out scheduled water cleaning, using chemicals like chlorine
testing water quality and pH balance
- cleaning out filtration units
- servicing heating, circulation and de-humidifier systems
- fixing lights above and below water level
- checking and repairing corrosion, cracks and leaks in the pool walls or floors
- making sure equipment like pool covers, diving boards and slides are in good working order
- keeping stock records for cleaning supplies and spare parts
- responding to water hygiene incidents
- logging and reporting equipment faults or water quality problems to managers
- maintaining outdoor pools
Starter: £17,000 to £25,000
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environmentYou’ll usually work 35 hours a week, which could include weekends. During peak season (March to October), you may need to work longer hours.
You may be based in one place, like a sports centre, or travel around an area, carrying out contract maintenance on pools and equipment.
You'll usually wear a uniform.
6. Career path and progressionWith experience, you could move into management or set up your own company.
With a degree in a related field like engineering or architecture, you could move into swimming pool design.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 07 December 2016