We're building a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Tax inspector Senior tax professional

BETATry an improved version of this page

  1. More about how to get into this career
  2. We've included current opportunities to help you with your next steps
Try it out

Tax inspectors make sure the correct amount of tax is paid and that fraud hasn’t taken place.

Salary, a pound sign Salary: £27,000 to £53,250 average per year
Hours, a clock face Hours: 37 per week

1. Entry requirements

You’ll need to apply for a place on HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC’s) Tax Specialist Programme and have one of the following:

  • a degree (minimum 2:2) in any subject
  • an equivalent award like a professional accountancy qualification
You must meet UK nationality requirements to apply for jobs in the civil service.

HMRC also runs an 8-week, paid internship programme for final year degree students.

2. Skills required

You’ll need:

  • the ability to investigate and analyse complex information
  • decision making ability
  • good negotiating skills and powers of persuasion
  • a creative approach to problem solving

3. What you'll do

You’ll work for HMRC to make sure businesses and individuals follow tax laws and pay the correct amount of tax.

Your day-to-day duties might include:

  • examining business accounts
  • visiting businesses to interview board directors, lawyers and accountants
  • investigating suspected fraud
  • offering specialist advice about tax
  • negotiating settlements
  • representing HMRC at appeals tribunals
  • considering and applying tax law to cases
  • leading a team of caseworkers and administrative staff
  • managing relationships between HMRC and customers

4. Salary

Starter: £27,000 to £29,250

Experienced: £47,250 to £53,250

These figures are a guide.

5. Working hours, patterns and environment

You’ll work 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday, with possible overtime when tax deadlines are approaching. 

You’ll be office-based but will spend some time travelling to visit businesses and attend meetings. 

6. Career path and progression

With experience, you could move through HMRC's promotion structure to more senior or specialist posts.

You could go into the private sector as a tax adviser, or become a self-employed tax consultant.

Related careers

You may be interested in:

Last updated: 13 September 2018