Warehouse managers plan and coordinate warehouse operations at distribution depots, retail superstores and manufacturing plants.
1. Entry requirements
There are no set requirements, but you may need supervisory experience and qualifications in warehouse or distribution work.
Relevant experience in an area like retail may be useful.
It may give you an advantage if you have a forklift licence.
It may help you get onto an employer's management training scheme if have a foundation degree, HND or degree in a subject, like:
- supply chain management
- transport management
2. Skills required
- spreadsheet and database skills
- excellent communication skills
- planning and scheduling skills
- the ability to lead, manage and motivate staff
3. What you'll do
Your day-to-day activities may include:
- working closely with clients, suppliers and transport companies
- planning the delivery and dispatch of goods
- monitoring and setting aside storage space
- tracking stock levels using computer programs
- making sure stock is stored correctly and safely, for example chemicals or food
- planning work rotas for warehouse staff
- organising recruitment and staff training
You'll also be responsible for security arrangements at the warehouse, and scheduling the maintenance, repair and replacement of equipment.
Starter: £18,000 to £22,000
Experienced: £22,000 to £35,000
Highly Experienced: £40,000 or more
These figures are a guide.
5. Working hours, patterns and environment
You'll usually work 35 to 45 hours a week. Shift work is common, including evenings and weekends.
You'll mainly be office-based, with some time spent on the factory floor or in a warehouse.
6. Career path and progression
With experience, you could be promoted to regional or national operations manager or director.
You may be interested in:
Last updated: 11 April 2017
Exam results helpline from 16 to 31 August
Once you've got your exam results, get help from a careers adviser on your options, and what to do next.
Call 0800 100 900
8am to 10pm, 7 days a week
Calls are free from landlines and most mobile numbers.